Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation Diesel Pusher radiator/coolant leak

2014 Palazzo 33.3 rear radiator diesel pusher

I've had a strange set of circumstances lately with a coolant leak, right at the bottom right corner of the radiator.

I've attached the rear of the coach, and the 'bottom' of the right corner of radiator, which looks wet from the leakage. These rear radiators not only make it hard to see anything to do with the engine, but it's also VERY DIFFICULT to do anything associated WITH the radiator itself. The coolant reservoir tank is on the top right of the radiator, including the only access to the radiator itself, via the radiator cap. The cap is even hard to get off since it is right below the rear fiberglass back of the coach. Even when you add coolant, you have to be somewhat of a contortionist, with the rear access metal cover swinging up and in your way, but having to try to hold a gallon or more container of coolant almost above your head in order to have the appropriate 'down hill' run for the fluid to run into the coolant tank cap opening. Most of the time you have to use a variety of flexible funnels to even get close to being successful.

Several weeks ago I noticed a few drips below the area, on the pavement, while at a rest stop when traveling. I checked the level of the coolant reservoir, and it was just where it's 'always' been, right above the 'seam' of the coolant tank, between the 'Low' and 'Max' coolant level indicators. I don't know that I've ever had to actually 'add' any coolant, though I had the coolant replaced by a Cummins dealer back in 2016.
When we first started touring in the coach back in late 2014, I had noticed a leak in the FRONT of the coach, above the generator, which wound up being a leaking hose connection for the dash air conditioning unit, which also draws in this 'coolant', as well. Once that was resolved, we never had any other issue with the 'pink stuff' leaking out of either the front or rear of the coach.

So, lately this 'dripping' has been more pronounced. I've started checking it most anytime we stop, and when we are parked for several days, etc.

What's happening now, though, is it in NOT mostly dripping/leaking when we are TRAVELING, but when we are PARKED...crazy!

I have read some posts and other online conversations about this type of 'condition', and some assert that a pinhole or crack in the radiator can sometimes create this type of outcome - meaning that with 'heat', while traveling, the natural expansion of metal can 'close' up the hole or break, but when the coach is resting, and the temps cool off, especially overnight, the hole can reopen and coolant is lost while parked.
And, so, that sounds like it might 'fit' my situation, though it's funny, as last night I lost maybe a total of 3 gallons of coolant, dripping throughout yesterday after we arrived at a campground, all overnight, and into this morning when I awoke. I have been capturing this leaking coolant to reuse, but it's amazing HOW MUCH there is in there!

Now, there is no signs of any 'hoses' not connected tightly, no leaking around any hoses or areas that I can see, no dripping or running down from the top of the radiator area, or any other signs other than the area right at the bottom corner where the dripping is happening. Does it look like that is a place where a 'seam' is? Maybe so.

But, here's the rub. After emptying the catch basin this morning, and pouring it into another 1 gallon jug, I took that gallon and reapplied it back into the coolant reservoir, which I had several times before while the dripping continued. When I came back out a few minutes later, though, now about 10:30am this morning, with temps climbing into the mid 80s and the sun out, there is NO MORE DRIPPING, the catch pan is basically EMPTY, and the 'leaking point' at the bottom of the radiator has no drips. CRAZY!
Remember, this is just after I added ANOTHER gallon of coolant!

What gives? I'm just completely stumped, and have no IDEA of what to do, other than going to a Freightliner,Cummins, or Radiator shop, which is not going to be fun, since we LIVE in this coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant leak, radiator 6 26 20.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	24462   Click image for larger version

Name:	coolant, radiator leak bottom 6 26 20.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	24463  

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum