Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 01:01 AM   #14
Bill in Redlands

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Redlands View Post
Mike, it seems to me that the DC to DC charger eliminates a two way connection between the house and chassis batteries. Is that correct? If so, wouldn't it also eliminate any need for isolating the batteries - in other words, the BIRD and Trombetta?
I heard back from Renogy today. I was correct in my assumption that their DC to DC chargers effectively isolate the house and chassis batteries since current can only flow from the chassis to the house. The typical setup uses a lead from the ignition side of the chassis electrical to turn on the charger, otherwise the charger isolates current from both directions.

If I proceed with this concept, I loose the ability to charge the chassis battery from the house side and to jump the chassis battery. I gain the ability to limit load on the alternator if the house batteries are fairly low and demanding a lot of current. I also gain the ability to charge the lithium house batteries according to their profile.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum