Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #19
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgscooter View Post
I have the 10amp GoPower controller & factory pre-wired setup. I was told by GoPower that the wiring from the roof could only handle 180Watt max panel. They said any more and you need to replace all the wiring from roof to controller and upgrade controller. I know some Thor mh's have a Gopower 30amp controller/wiring and am curious if that's what you originally had?
According to Thor's past specs and the wiring diagram they sent me for their solar ready coaches..... they are using 10AWG wire from the roof to the controller or termination point. So theoretically the wiring could handle up to about 30A. I had two 160W panels with a 30A Renogy MPPT Controller on my last coach using the Thor wiring and had no issues.

I have the 10A GoPower Controller on my Magnitude and I am using two 160W panels. I know that is over the published specs but here is my rationale:

- Since I am using flexible panels they will alway be flat and without the option to angle them towards the sun for maximum power generation. In my case max power generation would only occur when the sun is unobstructed and directly overhead of the panels.

- Most of the places I have been camping aren't like the desert southwest with clear skies and intense sunshine for long periods that can produce maximum power generation.

- Solar panels are not 100% efficient and rarely reach their maximum power generation capability. Different brands have different efficiencies so that has to be factored into the equation.

- Solar panel performance degrade with age and solar panels exposed to extreme sun and heat like the (desert southwest) or cold / snow (where my RV is stored in the offseason) degrade faster than panels that spend their time in moderate climates.

During my testing I have not seen anything over 8A - 9A from my two panels. I suspect that most of the time the two panels are putting out a max of 180 - 200W, which is just at or above the published max.

If my stock Controller dies as a result, I will replace it with a 30A Renogy controller.

My panels are wired in parallel because the GoPower controller is a PWM controller. If I install an MPPT controller, I could wire them in series and that would reduce the current through the wiring to the Controller... but again the 10AWG should support 30A.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum