Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
cavie

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
If there was an opportunity for me to casually walk by and mention it to them, I would. Some might have a reaction, like you did, and others might not care as much, especially if they'd seen that condition before, or had already resolved it, etc.

Giving them the info certainly doesn't hurt, and yes, it's up to the management to make sure the electrical connection is safe, but it's also true that many owners may not even know 'what' to do when you point this out to them, even if it shocks THEM in the process. If it's a weekend, it's also likely they know that no electrician is going to come out, regardless, and maybe they just put the other campers on notice that this was a 'known' issue, but that they could stay there if they wished, if they felt o.k. with it.

Some of us RV owners have had this 'shock' on the outside of our own RVs. Some call it 'hot skin' because it seems to only provide a tingle, or slight shock, on the metal skin, or metal doorframes, or metal threshholds of the RV. What causes it can be a wiring condition within the Shore Cord, or the RV, or even at the Shore Power pedestal, like what you experienced. It's doubtful that it's any real risk, but it's sure not pleasant when you encounter it. I would suggest that it's a stray wire, like the ground wire, that is not making a connection correctly, etc.

here's more: RV Electrical Safety: Part IV – Hot Skin - No~Shock~Zone.

"An RV Hot-Skin condition occurs when the frame of the vehicle is no longer at the same voltage potential as the earth around it. This is usually due to an improper power plug connection at a campsite or garage AC outlet. Now to be honest, I think the majority of campgrounds have properly wired and maintained power pedestals, but certainly there are instances where a campsite has outlets with reversed polarity or without proper grounding at all. But I’ve seen enough “rewiring” jobs to know that RV owners are also to blame for improper wiring of their own extension cords and 30-amp adapters."
This is all 100% good info. Except when an elderly person with a hart condition or a pace maker is involved.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum