Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 11:23 AM   #26
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
right, and I've never used the term 'camping' for our own situation, as I've always viewed 'camping' as those in tents, with no electricity or running water, and only cooking by campfire, generally even in areas that are not even 'campgrounds'!

Terminology, or our use of words, sometimes muddles the waters, for sure.

We've always said that we are 'RVing', which might invoke a different idea to those who hear it. We have an RV, we use it as it is designed, and use it anywhere we wish. Sometimes that a parking lot. Sometimes it's a high-end 'RV' resort. And sometimes it's right along side those 'campers' I just mentioned, like at the campground we just left. Grandma and Grandpa were 'tenting' right next door, on a slightly slanted hillside, in the summer heat, and even passing stormy weather, with a campfire, and several folding chairs...that was it. There were cans scattered on the ground, trash piled up next to a tree, and a small dog that barked at everything that moved.
We were next door, with full 50amp service, running both a/c units full out all day long, using the microwave, enjoying hot running water, a shower anytime we wished, satellite tv, and computers and phones with Unlimited internet, all while parked on a flat asphalt lengthy site, with the hydraulic levelers keeping us level and stable. The awning also helped with the sun, and the slides being out gave us spacious room.

We definitely we NOT camping.

Now, on the other hand, some 'campers' across the way made a slightly differing impression for those who 'camp'. They threw up an almost 'army' style very large center-pole tent, with roll-up windows. They then threw up a separate 'screened room' type of sitting tent. They then brought out the 'camping grill', which by all measures, was much larger than anything 'grilling' that I'd ever owned even at my own home. Maybe these folks were 'camping', or maybe it's something 'else', but it was sure a contrast in style.

Yes, some things have changed. I see folks bringing in their proud brand-new campers, backing them into a fully concrete site, with much fanfare, setting them up as perfectly 'level' as possible, and proudly bringing out all of the 'camping' fodder that they can possibly bring with them. They then sit outside, next to the camper, under the awning, in the heat, making a campfire, eating outside on the table, and otherwise doing exactly what they could have done in their own driveway, or backyard, without the time, expense, or monthly RV payment.

I think we all have cabin fever, and getting 'out' just is part of the human nature equation, for some reason. I'm starting to think that there is some type of area in our brain that requires us to 'camp' somewhere else to make us feel like we're actually 'doing something special', when our own back yards are void of life, and other than the weekly lawn cutting, don't see much of us at all....what a shame.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum