Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #31
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
Right on...

I don't think the Inverter knows or cares 'where' you are plugging in, whether on the unit itself, or on one of the circuits that it provides power to...since whenever the Inverter senses 120v Shore Power, it simply goes into 'silent' mode, and sends the power on thru to the circuits, only 'waking up' when the Shore Power is lost(if the Inverter is turned 'ON', of course).

Now, if you want to get creative, and do a little 'electrical' modifications, you 'could' conceivably turn OFF the circuit breaker that provides pass-thru Shore Power to your Inverter, thereby removing the ability for it to 'sense' any 120v power, and therefore, as long as it is turned ON, while be INVERTING to the outlet or the circuits wired to it.
The negative, though, is that the Inverter AND Shore Power will then both be in play, making for some confusion if not thought out correctly.

In my situation, though, this would not allow MY Battery Charger to function, as it is using that same breaker, and 120v power from the Shore.

YOUR Inverter, even if a Magnum brand, may work differently than mine, since the FACTORY decides how they want to wire your RV. You may only have the Fridge with Inverter power, or an additional outlet, and yours may also NOT have an integrated Battery Charger, which changes the equation.
I did some research here. You are correct in that it depends on Magnum brand. I have Magnum CSW 1012 Inverter and CSW - TS15 Transfer Switch. See Diagram

In my case, yes you are correct that if shore power is sensed, it will flow-through downstream devices and ignore power source from House batteries. However, if I were to plug an extension cord to the available open receptacle on my Inverter; then it will be powered via the House batteries regardless of Shore Power or not; as long as I have the Coach in Use mode.

The Switch TS-15 and thus Sensor is actually downstream from the actual Inverter itself. Which means the input to the Switch is hot even though input from Shore is hot as well. Now that I follow even better; I could also trip the coach's breaker as you suggest, but for the fun of what this was intended ... On a very hot day, with only 15amp service available, no idea of what else is connected to it, and no access to reset the breaker to the shore power if it does trip, then I go outside & plug my extension cord into the Inverter, connect my TVs and Outside Kitchen Fridge to the extension cord, and then run one AC and everything else (less Microwave) on Shore power 15 amps service. I would probably put a family moratorium on the microwave and popcorn
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 64-0064-Rev-A-CSW-TS15-Web Page 2.pdf (254.8 KB, 16 views)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum