Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
TomAndLindaRogers

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Good to know if you drive a F53 chassis

While backing into a RV site, our Hurricane 29M gear shift hung up in “Drive”. I could move the lever to any gear, but it was still in drive. When I shut the ignition off, not the smartest thing to do, I could not restart the engine because it will only start if the transmission is in “Park”. Did I mention we were partially blocking campground traffic?

I removed the steering column top cover. On the left side of the steering column behind a wiring bundle, I found the gear shift cable. As I moved the shifting lever the entire cable moved. That shouldn’t happen. Just below the cable I saw the bracket that the cable was supposed to be fastened to. I put the cable back into the bracket, shifted the transmission into park, started the engine, shifted into reverse, and backed into our site.

Then I canceled the tow truck. That’s right, I wasn’t as cool and calm as I made it look above. The first thing I did was call roadside assistance. I was looking at an 80-mile tow to a Ford dealer and then, of course, an undetermined wait time for the repair. The point of this thread is, if you drive a F53 chassis and you can’t shift the transmission, there may be a simple repair.

I did go back in to secure the cable to the bracket with a zip tie. I figure if it slipped out once, it could happen again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1-1552 Forum.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	24574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2-1576 Forum.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	24575  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3-1535 forum.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	24576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4-1547 forum.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	24577  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum