Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 08:46 PM   #13
lwmcguire

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
by the way, the shop also took me up on replacing the two FUEL FILTERS for the Cummins engine while I was there - the two I had been carrying around with me since last year. When I changed my oil last year and also tried to change these two filters, I ran into an issue. The primary 'Fleetgard' fuel filter, built totally of plastic, would NOT come off!
They say NOT to use a filter wrench, but only to use a socket wrench, which attaches to a special place on the bottom, to wrench it carefully off. But, no 'wrenching' from me would make it budge, and frankly, with it being plastic, I didn't want to take the chance that it might break, leaving me in a big bind. While I actually DID attempt to use a filter wrench, it also didn't budge even then. So I decided to wait until I was at a shop that could handle it.
Today, the primary mechanic had me jack up the coach to a height were he could slide under it with his creeper. He still barely made it, but eventually got the SECONDARY Water/Fuel separater filter off and replace with my 'Fleetgard' replacement.
BUT, he tried and tried with several different tools, a filter wrench included, to remove the primary PLASTIC one, with no luck. He also had another mechanic crawl under with him and they both tugged and pulled at the same time in a effort to loosen it, but with no luck. Both also knew that they could break it, and that would be quite a problem.
SO, the mechanic finally admitted that they couldn't get it off, but had seen this condition on other diesels and this type of plastic housing filter.

so, a no go on that filter replacement, although I haven't seen any signs that it 'needed' to be replaced, only that time and miles suggested it. Maybe next time. : /

I guess a Freightliner shop, or Gaffney, or Speedco might can handle it - who knows.
That is quite a deal on the water separator primary filter

Apparently quite a difference from what mine takes which is below

ABP N122R50419 by FREIGHTLINER

I have a spare plastic bowl and water sensor that I add to the exchange filter to make it fast and simple

What is the number of the primary that yours takes

Good luck on the radiator as well. Sure seems like they should last longer than 7 years or so but I know SOB's have been having issues for years

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum