Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #21
Bill in Redlands

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Redlands View Post
Battleborn's website suggests the BIM is for banks of three or more batteries, I have two. I am waiting for their response to verify the BIM is appropriate for me. I also asked for wiring information but expect to have a similar response.
This is an update for those that might be interested in what I heard from Battleborn.

Initially, Battleborn asked me for the model and amperage of the RV alternator. I did not find it anywhere in my documentation and spent a fair amount of time digging through the engine bay trying to get a look at a data plate on the alternator, with no success. Next, I came back to this web site, searched for any clues and a found a discussion several years ago on topic - with no conclusion but the best "guess" was that Thor bought identical cutaway chassis and unless you asked the dealer to upgrade the alternator, you probably have the basic 120 amp model and maybe a 155 amp upgrade but not likely the top of the line 225 amp alternator.

Here is what I heard back from Battleborn after I shared that I did not know the specific alternator.

"Hi Bill,

The reason I ask is because we recommend only charging the Battle Born batteries with amperage that is 50% of the battery capacity. This would be 100 amps for 2 batteries in parallel.

If you have a 120 or 155 amp alternator, you would be able to use the LiBIM because the amperage reaching the batteries will be close to or less than 100 amps. With a 225 amp alternator, I recommend using a DC to DC charger to limit the amperage.

The LiBIM will utilize all leftover amperage from the alternator, but it will operate on a duty cycle of 15 min on, 20 min off; in order to give the alternator a break.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.