Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 12:06 AM   #1
Cabinetmkr

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #15113
Thor Hurricane Entry Steps, the structure

After reading a post about another Thor stairwell failing I decided to inspect mine .
I found the left side had failed .. creating a gap when weight is applied to step.

This is not noticeable upon entry or exit ... as you are looking up or out during use.

The surprising thing.. the engineered system here , all the weight of a person is placed on a corner screw, screwed into the motorhome floor, through a piece of 1/4” plastic. (See Photo) this sidewall of the entry box is hung from the floor.

There is steel struts and structure on either side which could had been used for support.
I really cannot believe every stairwell has not failed in every unit made.. they did use “big screws” lmao ... too bad the plastic can’t support 200+ lbs

I really hope this design has been corrected.. it’s going to be an easy fix... but no telling what a dealer would charge for this repair.
My fix will be to attach the bottom to the upper strut.. take all the weight off of the plastic box

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6680.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24631Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6677.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	24632Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6678.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	24633

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.