Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #15
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Thanks Terry!

I planned to use the 12V outlet in the back that is always on. I have an extension picked out on Amazon. But I will take a look at this option as well.

Thanks again for the tips!
I found a solenoid under the bed that's only hot when the ignition switch is turned to the on position. Works out great. I can park for the night and the brake system only comes alive when I start it in the morning. That keeps it from drawing on the house batteries overnight. I always cross-check hookup, brake operation and directional before getting under way anyway. If it's raining, I'm basically screwed and get wet.

Your 7-pin will have a hot spot too. You'll need to find it with a voltmeter - if you can find a 7 pin for your towed. I couldn't and used a 5-pin. I ran separate power lines for the braking system using the solenoid and ran the lines through an existing passage under the bed. I used a coat hanger to ream out the foam a little to let the wires pass through. Connect that to the 4-pin on the coach side and viola. You probably see where this is going. If not ask.

Got the parts from O'Reilly's. Two 4-pin connectors, wiring conduit and 4ft of wire. I fab'd a holder for the coach so it's sits atop the 7-pin and bolted the other 4-pin to the roadmaster adapter bar.

I have the BO setup. Towing now for 11+k miles. Couldn't be happier with it. When not in use, I disconnect the wires and fold the tow bar back against the grill, secure it with bungie strap and a bicycle lock and off I go. I bought a toad wiring harness from etrailer and installed it on the truck in about 4hrs. It's neat, clean and wrapped front to back in plastic wiring conduit. I used zip ties where needed. Maybe some (or all) of this helps.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum