Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 10:56 PM   #17
cramar

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #12702
Smile another modification to existing rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramar View Post
My wife and I like to kayak, so we have racks on our tow vehicle which work great except we have to hook up a tow dolly and then the vehicle. That's alright if we are planning on kayaking and sight seeing with the tow vehicle but I wanted a rack for the RV (29' Freedom Elite) to be able to just leave and stay for a few days without plans on going anywhere else and leaving the towd home, but cost was out of sight from $400 to up in the thousands so after looking at the various offerings I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a Truck Bed Extender, A Heavy Duty Luggage Rack for a hitch mount and also a Double Decker Receiver. A few modifications later I came up with what is pictured. The added expenses were the clothes line hooks, extra bolts to secure a piece of 2" 006 tubing to extend the top of the tee a a ength of 1/2" pvc and a little paint.
By using the 20% off coupons offered by Harbor Freight and just going to three different outlets I saved about $32 of the total price and with the extras am well under $175.
On our first outing I had several people ask about the rack so I thought I would post it here if anyone is interested
After reading the comments and interest I did take note of What JMF said about dips etc but while I have never had a problem so far, better safe than sorry, so I added pieces of 2" black pvc and also the pipe foam which now gives me a ground clearance of 17 1/2" from the old previous 12". I hope the pictures show it, the plywood and aluminum is a set up for a MotorGuide Wireless trolling motor for my wife to use when her back bothers her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0855.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	24689   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0856.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	24690  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.