Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 10:24 PM   #19
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I started out to do the under mount like the op but went a different route.
I do have a hitch mount for the spare but the spare fits so nicely in the pictured hatch I just don't use the hitch mount.
My power cord and macerator hose, fresh water hose and tow straps fit really nice inside the rim.

Underneath we built as a big of a box as we could weld in there between the frame rails. Access is through an added hatch in the floor basement.
This might need whacked a bit when we add flip down levelers.

The 24.1 side hatch makes it easy to get to the clean and dry spare for us:waist high, flat bottom, no tie downs, and the frame rail space is utilized by the big box we fitted. I'm a little bit ahead on comparative storage cubic feet because the rim holds goodies and the under box is square not round.

I'll use the hitch spare tire rack if I need more space, but we travel pretty light.
I just don't want to be laying on the ground fighting an undermount spare tire on a Mohave/death valley summer or in two inches of snow... Or ever and the hitch rack would require some chest high wrestling of the possibly severely damaged and angry, steel cord slashing at me blow out. I am big enough and strong enough to hold a pissed off blow out at chest height for the time it would take to get it on the rack studs and never let it touch me. I don't know many our average ages who can.

If the poster above hadn't mentioned taking air out of the spare in a post last year, making me think I'll now need a compressor(I carry a battery, 12v and 110v)and then thinking how can I get around the compressor,what happens when the rubber sticks itself to the frame rail,what do I have to wedge it loose, will mud and crud get in my eye while I'm hip deep under the rv, where the hell am I going to put this filthy, sharp cords hanging out of it, trying to cut me up, so hot you can't handle it, no longer round blown tire I just changed...I'd have an underslung.
You see, I've actually had to work an underslung before but like child birth the pain was not the prevalent memory, until needing to add air was mentioned, then like a wave it all came rushing back. I'm sure someone will tell of a happy time using one. It ain't me babe.

As usual with me, when I take on a project it starts at the end, not the beginning. Since I was a kid everything starts with: 'well, that failed. Let's work it backwards to see how it failed' before I even open a door or put a key in a lock.

I'm all for the underslung spare. My wife couldn't handle it and I don't want to. But I know not everyone has the luxury of that 24.1 hatch. If I hadn't read of someone on the forum carrying their spare there, I would have never thought to try it.
So the forum saved me twice. The air being why I didn't underslung, and the hatch fitment being why I didn't have to.

Also :
I carry cheap dollar store shower curtains to lay myself on if I ever have to be on the ground, on my side, doing a long reach above my head, lowering a spare or changing a tire or carving an elk out from the front suspension.
And
I carry a Torque multiplier for the wheels. Cheap. I can twist a car size star wrench into a pretzel....

I have three roadside services.
But as always:
'well calling them was fail. Let's work backwards'....
AND
There's pictures in my signature thread of the safe I built into the rim well of the spare on my expeditionary vehicle.
For those of you with the underslung mount, a round marine hatch in the floor of your basement will allow you to build a safe into that unused rim space.
Ain't no one ever going to look there and it's an easy build using a one size smaller rim to fit the space. Get creative if you need more security, as I did, and whack the front panel off of a harbor freight safe and you can access the safe door through that marine hatch.
I'll just go ahead and post another pic since I'm down here at the shop....
The safe and the fold down table that covers it.
The table integrates as a 90° return with the tailgate giving me a wrap around work bench/prep area. I'm starting to consider thinking about thinking about considering a table for the 24.1 hitch rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200711_151326~01.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	24774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200711_151233~01.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	24775  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200711_163754~01.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	24776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200711_163848~01.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	24777  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum