Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 02:13 AM   #13
Luke D

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28 View Post
I have an o an generator 4000 in my 2018 ACE. This past weekend after running the A/C for anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours the generator would shut off, however it would always restart immediately. I found that it appeared that the generator was at times going under a load making the generator shut off. If I was able to catch the generator before it stalled and turned the A/C off I could keep the generator running. The unit cools well as long as it keeps running. I will say the outside temp was in the low 90 degree range. The generator was service by CW this past March with new fuel and air filters. But what’s got me stumped is that when it shuts off it will always restart immediately. Thanks in advance for any help

Well had a similar issue on my Thor Ace 30.1. not cooling issue but generator shut down. Guess we're lucky because even on 90 degree an above heat, inside stays mid seventies. Now shutdown issue.... Cummings has a facility here in Tampa. Cummings Onan. My neighbor is a certified Onan tech. He works there. He explained gen set shutdown issues as following reasons. No gas delivery, no spark, low oil...before the last one, he advised me that all Onan sets including 4000 KWs have a circuit breaker. Inside gen door located usually to the right of oil dip stick. (Fill) This breaker trips so set won't shut down. Coach loses power. Must reset. It's a toggle. Now the last cause for shutdown Too Much Oil.
It will splash and foam causing a overheat and sensor thinks opposite no oil. Shutdown.
And yes it will restart and run. Oil ran back in to pan. Crazy!!!!! But a little under full line better than over full. I used a baster an put mine back to line maybe a smidge under. Has never shut off again. Learned one more thing Onan prefer a 15/40 weight oil. Book calls for 30????
Stay safe

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.