Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Power trip
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 12:50 AM   #22
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinez View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Outlaw Toy Hauler 29h. When I'm using shore power I can only use 1 a.c. unit if I want to use any appliance such as microwave or coffee maker. OR I have to shut down both a.c. units. Otherwise the GFI trips in the bathroom or the breaker at the pole (camping) Shouldn't I be able to keep both a.c. units on at all times even if I want to make a cup of coffee? This has happened at the last 3 campsites. I took it in for service and they say nothing is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Theoretically, the OP should be able to run his 13,500 BTU and 5000 BTU A/C on 30A. I say this because Bob D and I both had the same coach and we never had an issue running both A/C's on 30A.

Now the OP said he has had the issue at multiple sites so the chances of him having bad power at all of the sites is slim. Possible... but unlikely.

I have a hardwired Progressive EMS so I always know the voltage and current of my 50A service but apparently the OP is not using an EMS so I think it is still worth him checking for poor connections given the issue has happened at a few different sites.

There have been enough reports and pictures of shoddy wiring on this forum that it would not be a surprise if he also has a poor wiring connection somewhere. Poor connections can lead to an over-current situation if the full gauge of the intended wiring is not making proper contact. A poor connection from improperly installed wire nuts would be like using a 12AWG wire when the service really called for 6AWG. That could cause a breaker to trip and it could also cause heat with melting or even fire in extreme cases.

Read the OP again. The complaint was NOT that he couldn't run both A/Cs at the same time. The complaint was that he couldn't run both A/Cs AND another major current drawing item such as a coffee maker or microwave. The answer is: a 30 amp coach cannot run 3 major current appliances at the same time as I explained in post #3.

There is no problem with his coach; like all 30 amp coaches you have to power manage.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.