Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Towing
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 01:14 AM   #7
Harley97

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
State: California
THOR #19344
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well, I can't answer either question directly but I will tell you I've been towing our toad with a $75 Reese tow bar for over 3 years and it's a lot easier to put your car in the right place with the tow bar in front of you then it is to back up most vehicles to attach a trailer. I put the bar on the toad and hang it with a bungy cord and put the tongue on top of the ball very easily.

So no $1000 tow bar in my future.
Thats what I was thinking. I have a harbor freight tow bar and have zero issues with it. I used a harbor freight WDH on my last trailer and never had any issues either.

QUOTE=Bob Denman;243623]If you're looking to save money by foregoing a braking system for your Toad: why not just buy cheaper toilet paper and peanut butter?
Think about how little you'll save; in comparison to what a serious accident could cost you... [/QUOTE]

Your reply is the typical reasoning I see. That's why I asked if you have any experience or examples of accidents caused by cheaper tow bars. Why spend the extra money if there is no benefit? I understand there are anti harbor freight people and only blue ox people. That is fine but show me evidence that it's worth spending the extra money vice and choice and opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
We found a higher end towbar on craigslist for the price of the low end ones
The cheaper towbars are probably not going to be nonbinding, which can be an issue in some campgrounds.
We've had our nonbinding pretty tight, had to use a small hammer a couple of times.

There are bo telescoping tubes on mine to bind up. It's just a simple a frame.

If your going travel to other states you'll need a brake system, check ebay, craigslist and amazon. We have a blue ox patriot.
Are there any states that require a brake on a TOAD and not just on a trailer?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.