Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Towing
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 07:39 PM   #25
Harley97

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
State: California
THOR #19344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
An interesting thread. My personal opinion (which nobody asked for!) is that anyone towing a car behind a motorhome is foolish if they don’t use a braking system. Brakes on our coaches are marginal to begin with and adding the momentum of a ton or more pushing on the back can only hurt performance in an emergency. Likewise having four more tires bleeding off speed can only help. I had a deer jump out in front of me and I was thankful for every ounce of stopping power I had

I agree with you here for the most part. A braking system can increase safety and be helpful. Although in most cases slower speeds and more following distance can accomplish the same. A deer is an entirely different story even with additional brakes.

I towed a car years ago with a simple steel rigid A- frame tow bar. It worked fine but the newer, light weight non-binding bars is so much worth the added cost that I can’t even find the words. I bought a new Blue Ox Ascent from the Amazon warehouse for under $700 and its wonderful. Using a cheap bar and no brakes is like choosing to drive an old car with no ABS or power steering because it’s “not needed”. Certainly true but for most of us somewhat closed minded. But whatever floats your boat!
My harbor freight bar doesnt bind, there is nothing to bind on it. I spend maybe $80 on it and another $100 for the adapters to connect to my bumper. Other than ease of operation, I see no benefit to shelling out a ton of money for a blue ox.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum