Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
I have 2015 Axis 24.1. Never had any issues with the Onan 4000 generator. Suddenly, about 2 weeks ago my generator started acting up. Right now I can't start the generator at all. The generator will start only with the engine running.
So does it start with the engine running or not? If it does, than you have a problem with supply voltage from the house batteries - either they are too dead to start the generator or the 100 amp DC breaker from the house batteries to the generator is tripped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
As soon as I shut the engine off, the generator stalls out in about 5-10 min. My gas tank is more than 1/3rd full, all house batteries connections are good. I just replaced Onan's air filter and also will replace the spark plug and fuel filter. I have primed the gen several times with no success. Last time I checked the house batteries they were showing 12+ V.
I will double check the batteries conections again.
What other steps I need to take in order to correct this problem? Are the 5 year old deep cycle 12V batteries dying?
Sounds like a fuel starvation problem to me - again related to lack of good 12 VDC to the generator. In this case, the fuel pump. Once you remove the engines alternator voltage from the supply to the generator the fuel pump can't keep up and starves the generator.

Definitely a possibility
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum