Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #11
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
I am getting an xg32 with the F550 cab and a 6.7 Diesel. Do I really need braking from my JL Rubicon? The big Super C has massive brakes and I can’t imagine that Jeep pushing it around too much. I’ve hauled similar sized cars on a two wheel dolly with my F350 with the same engine with zero issues.
My coach weighs 18,000 lbs with the same Ford 15.56" dia disk brakes with anti-lock. It takes me 220 ft to stop from 60 mph with the ant-lock pulsing away. The limit in stopping distance the the very hard rubber Goodyear tires and not the brakes. A typical new car will stop in about 110 ft from 60 mph. Considering it takes about one second (88 ft) to react to an emergency stop in front of me. I need 200 feet distance from the car in front to avoid hitting it. Add another 3,600 lbs in the rear (truck and dolly) and that is 20% more weight for the stop and probably 20% more stopping distance (I don't have the guts to try it). Is a 44 ft shorter stopping distance worth the cost of surge brakes on my dolly. In my mind it was an easy decision.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.