Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 02:18 AM   #19
Wrpt58

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
As for if you need them, consider this:
The coach you bought was designed with the brakes it has based on the overall Gross Vehicle Weight. When towing anything or loading up the coach, this weight really needs to be considered. In some of the coach reading matter, there is also a Gross Combined Vehicle Weight limit, that expressly considers the towed vehicle weight.
The GCVW should be the maximum the tow vehicle pulls, with or without additional brakes. I have a hard time keeping the weight for my 29M under the GVW, so I CHOOSE to use my brake buddy on my Nissan Versa, even though the RV doesn't notice it nor care if it's back there.
Add to me living in the USSR-Ca, who, the last time I looked said anything 1200 lbs and above is required to have additional braking, and the piece of mind about breakaway fun, made it no choice.
It didn't hurt that I traded for it and got a good deal. The good deal made it easier, but I still put $500 into the towbar &stuff and $200 to get the brake buddy rebuilt and certified!

Either way it's really a personal decision. I wish you the best wisdom in your decision.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum