Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 04:23 AM   #1
mkapala

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.1
State: Washington
THOR #17375
Eaton C/H BD3020 circuit breaker overheating

A hot day going south on I-5, overnighting in Yreka CA, 104F on arrival. Plugged in to shore power and started up the A/C. After awhile my 20 amp breaker tripped, turning off my A/C. Discovered that I have a BD 3020 double breaker, where the 30 amp side is my main supply breaker, and the 20 amp side is for my A/C. Seems like not a great idea, having the two highest power circuits flowing through one molded case breaker block. It was pretty hot, so I removed the panel covers, moved an adjacent breaker to another slot to allow more heat dissipation, reduced the A/C load by closing most of the vents, but directing most of the cold air to the breaker panel area. This all helped quite a bit, but still managed to trip the breaker a few more times. When I get time I plan to put a separate 20 amp breaker in an empty slot and use that for the A/C, and probably replace the BD3020 as well, since it's obviously weakened. Hoping it works. Has anybody else experienced problems with these BD3020 units?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.