Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Off the grid
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 01:40 AM   #2
billnagle6900@gmail.com

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl View Post
Being new I have no experience taking my ace off the grid. Can anyone tell me how long the propane will last? And if you cant run the generator at night how to you use the heat?
Your furnace uses propane. the batteries run the fans. You would use the generator in the daytime to charge your batteries.

From the RV Forum:
For an absolute answer on how much propane your furnace (or any other gas appliance) uses, look at the BTU rating on it's nameplate. In this case, BTUs are used to measure the amount of heat energy in the gas it's consuming, not the heat output of the unit.

There are about 90,000 BTUs in a gallon of propane. If your furnace is rated at 30,000 BTUs it will use 1/3 gallon of propane for every hour it's in use. (30,000 / 90,000 = 1/3)

If the furnace is running continuously, you'll use 8 gallons of propane per 24 hour period.

If the furnace is running an average of 50% of the time you'll use 4 gallons every 24 hours.

And so on.
Hendersonville, NC
billnagle6900@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum