Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 02:36 AM   #1
SamNavy

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34B
State: California
THOR #19439
Chassis battery dead! It's a CONSPIRACY!

2008 Four Winds Hurricane 34B.

Been at a campground for 4 days since last started the engine. I noticed the blue light on our 12volt cigarette lighter adapter-splitter was out. I've been charging things from it becaus the 4x USB ports are convenint and the dashcam runs off of it 24/7. The chassis battery went dead somewhere aroud noon today because that's when the dashcam last recorded.

The engine fired right up using the AUX START from the coach batteries. I let it run for about 30 minutes while I took the opportunity to fill up on water and dump the grey tank. I pulled it back into spot and checked to see that it had charged... yup, engine fired right up normally.

Statement: I thought when plugged into shore power, the chassis battery was being charged, and I've been in the habit of clicking both the CHASSIS and COACH switches on the BATTERY STORAGE CONTROL PANEL to CONNECT when camped beause why not? The light for the chassis battery indicating "connected" stays lit at all times, and I remember the dealer telling me (I bought it used) that the switch may have been bypassed and doesn't function anyways.

Statement: I remember reading a thread about some critical 12volt failure mode in some older Thor's that would cause the entire 12volt system to shut off while driving and killing all power to the entire motorhome, including the engine... and one of the fixes was to bypass the chassis battery disconnect. AS far as I can tell, the green LED on the chassis disconnect switch stays lit at all times, and I can't hear any tell-tale click/thunk/thud of a breaker or solenoid doing it's thing. The coach battery switch definitely thunks and the sound comes from the area where the coach batteries are located... but that little green LED doesn't not come on.

QUESTION #1: How can I verify if my chassis battery disconnect works or has been bypassed?

QUESTION #2: Should my chassis battery be charging on shore power and/or with the generator running?

QUESTION #3: Does the 12volt lighter socket on the dash run directly off the chassis battery, and if not being charged, I simply drained it over a few days with the dashcam and charging phones? Would the possible bypassed disconnect switch have any affect on this?

QUESTION #4: What do the green LED's indicate on the BATTERY STORAGE CONTROL PANEL?

OH YEAH!!! Almost forgot thanks to the crew for answering all my question in my into thread... decided it was time to make some new threads instead of clogging that one with all your good information that nobody will find.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.