Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I believe the OP's question is rhetorical........

There are two industries that charge a fair amount of money for a product / service.... they talk a good game...... but they get away with providing the consumer with an inferior product / service on a fairly regular basis.

Those industries are airlines and RV manufacturers / dealers.

Think about what both industries get away with in terms of quality and service. It is because "we" the consumer may complain a bit but we do not hold them accountable. As a result, they can continue to operate the way they do.

The airlines cancel a flight, they will get you another one when they can find you a seat even if it means you miss your business meeting, start of your vacation, etc. Something comes up, you get sick, etc. and you can't take your flight, they keep your money. Ultimately... "we" need the airlines more than they need the individual.

RV manufacturers build coaches without the same quality control standards the automobile industry follows. They use cheap and unskilled labor and because of no real QC process, no two coaches are ever identical in terms of construction quality. As a result, some coaches have more issues than others.... some have more serious issues..... but in the end they all have issues.

Why does this happen? Because "we" let it. Unlike an automobile, RV's are luxury items.... they are not a necessity like an automobile that you need in order to get to work, get to the doctors, get to the grocery store, etc.

We want an RV to enjoy.... we like the life style.... we like the freedom. And as a result, "we" need the RV manufacturers / dealers more than they need us. In the end, they live by the old adage.... a sucker is born every minute. They do the minimum amount necessary to build and sell the product and they promise they will take care of you.

Until "we" collectively say that we have had enough and stop purchasing their inferior products and putting up with their inferior service, this is the way it will be.

The problem is that most of us don't want to spend $500,000 or more and even then.... you are not guaranteed a coach without any issues.

I'm dealing with what could be a fairly serious structural problem with a 2020 Magnitude myself. This is not my first coach so I knew to look closely at everything and realize their will be issues that needed to be addressed.... already seen and unseen.... once I drove it off the lot. But a structural problem was something I didn't foresee, expect or plan for after only 9 months of ownership and about 4500 miles.

In the end I suspect my problem will the result of everything I outlined above. If so, you do have to ponder the OP's original question...

Why do "we" accept this?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum