Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #16
Carrollco

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Venetian L40
State: California
THOR #19730
It seems to be a industry problem.

You are correct. The dealer sucks. The industry is as sleazy as they come.
That is why I ask why do We accept this.
My situation is very unique and the dealer saw that.
I needed a way to get my wife from California To Florida for the Medical trial she is doing without putting her or I in any undue exposure situation.
She has Major Autoimmune problems not to mention I am a disabled Former Marine that due to the service injury I am missing ribs and have reduced lung capacity.
Politics aside Covid is not something we are willing to risk our life for.

We decided the safest way to do this was to be self contained In a coach.

Having never owned a coach before we started looking for something close by. Closest we could find was 4.5 hours south of us.

After speaking on the phone with the salesman who was also a former marine he assured me that they have several former marines working there and I could rest assured they had my back. Marines take care of there own he says. HAHAHAHA Mistake number one.

We negotiated a price and agreed to drive down to finalize paperwork and take the coach home. We were also told they understood our reluctance to spend a lot of time at the dealership because of our issues and that they would make sure they followed all guidelines to lesson our worries.

We made the trip arrived and it was apparent that they were not following any guidelines for anyone’s safety. We go into the finance office and meet the next guy that tells us I also was in the marine corp your in good hands.

Well after being in the little office for 30 minutes with people just walking in and out laughing and joking with no protection my wife tells him tell me where to sign I have to get out of here Ill wait in the car.

She signed what she had to and went back to the car while I dealt with the upscale bullcrap.

I get through that process and finally am handed off to a different guy who takes me to the coach.
I tell him this is our first coach and would like a complete run down of the coach and its systems.
He smiles and says well this is the first time I have been in this model as well. Needless to say the walkthrough was a joke.
I did make note of some of the obvious things I saw at that point but not really knowing the things to look for I did not see everything.

We finally are given the keys and start the coach. They don’t have time for a road test. Having driven many large pieces of Equipment in my life I say ok. Well the first thing I see is the check engine light is on. I ask and they tell me oh its nothing just need to drive it and it will reset. Like the car if you didn’t get the gas cap on tight.

Well it made it 6 blocks and went into limp mode.

Dealer comes and gets the coach and takes it back to the lot. I am told it has to go to Freightliner. I say ok and ask that while they have it can they take care of the problems I had noticed. They say “sure no problem”

So we drive back home. The week turned into 10 days and they know time is running short for us to get on the road. I ask if it can be delivered so we do not have to waste another day driving down and back. They say sure.

Time comes to have the coach delivered and during the inspection they find 3 rear tires have cuts on the sidewalls and have to be replaced. Where they there when they sent us off the lot? The person who found the issue was not there the day they sent us off the lot.

The coach finally arrives at our house and the driver gets out sweating horribly. He says the AC does not work just to let you know. Oh and don’t mind the blue tape all over the window I was trying to hold the window trim on after it started flapping halfway here.

He leaves and we start to go over the coach. And we find all sorts of things that were not obvious when I got my quick walkthrough.

Many of these items have come up as we have made our way to Florida.
The seals and the cracked plastic below the slide was not there when I first saw the coach. Many of these items have come up during the trip.

I am not a stranger to fixing things. But I am also not a stranger to delivering a quality product to start with.
I am the Owner/CEO of a Construction company that has been in business for a long time. If I allowed any of my 85 employees to do work of this caliber I would have been out of business a long time ago.

Both my wife and I have our off shore Captains license and have spent many hours at the helm of different vessels. Including a transatlantic last year on a 40 ft Cat. 21 days across.

I spent the money I did because I believe you get what you pay for. Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case in the RV industry.

We love our coach but we don’t love the issues.

The thought of spending as much as a small investment property on a depreciating asset to have it fall apart in the first month is just unfathomable.

This thread shows exactly what I am saying. It seems to just be accepted. So I get it why should they change?

If you purchased a new home from me and problems came up that were quality and build issues. I would make sure that they were immediately addressed and the people who signed off on it would have hell to pay.

So my question again is Why do “We” accept this.

I have purposely left out names and not posted on general social media site about this because I believe that a business should have the ability to correct any issues prior to being slammed in what sometimes can be a very one sided platform.

The thought of taking my coach back to the dealer who helped in this shell game is horrifying.

Not to mention the huge amount of time I will be without the coach while they do who knows what to correct the issues.

All I want is the coach to be properly repaired and safe to drive down the road. Is that asking to much?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum