Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #2
javelin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Sorry that you have had such a bad experience with your Thor purchase. It can be a very enjoyable experience traveling and living/vacationing in your own RV......once (if) it gets out of the repair shop.

When I was “kicking tires” on my new 2013 ACE in Sept 2012 and I learned from the salesman that the Thor warranty was 1 year, my first thought was about the cheaply made Chinese/Korean electronics and appliances we all buy, that have the same 1 year warranty typically. Of course the purchase cost between these items is very different. Considering a major cost purchase item, built with many major components, many of which that are only covered by a one year warranty, should be a red flag warning to any prospective RV buyer......especially if you are not “handy” around mechanical and electrical systems.
I almost walked away, since this was my first class A and clearly it is (was) an entry level Class A coach at best. I took a chance, bought it and waived the extended as well.....crazy maybe? We have been lucky so far; we have amazingly had very few troubles over the years. Unfortunately, even regular maintenance/inspection (by Owner or Dealer) will not prevent “some” unforeseen major failures from occurring, if you own any complex device long enough. I am just trying to recoup my spend with good memories and minimal failures.....so far it's working. This forum helps.

I personally think you are correct, that Thor needs to improve their quality testing off the assembly line. Driving back to Wakarusa is not in the cards for many folks with major problems off the new lot and Dealers that are indifferent or incapable of making the required repairs themselves are of little value to the Thor support network.
There is another recent thread discussing this subject. Nothing will change at Thor until the buyers decide “its not worth the risk” or they buy somewhere else, if the alternative truly has a “better deal” in price and build quality.

It seems to me that buying up your competition and building generally mediocre devices at best, is how the world does its business today (not just the RV business). I still own a Maytag washer dryer pair, built in USA in the 80’s.......I dread the thought of having to replace them when the time comes. When the time comes for my ACE to retire or expire, I will not be buying another new RV. For sure, at some point our luck will run out.......do what you can to get back to enjoying your life with as little personal cost as possible; trade up/off for something built better/more reliable, if you can find it. I hope you can get out camping and traveling soon. Life is too short not to enjoy every minute you can.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum