Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Towing
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #39
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I'm in the process of setting up flat towing my oldie 2001 Jeep Wrangler. DIY is not for the feint of heart. I found a new in box Blue Ox Alpha towbar on Craigslist for $300. Baseplate from eTrailer, Invisibrake from Amazon, tail light wiring kit with diodes, relay and connectors. Total: $1,800
Looks like the real grunt work is minor drilling for the baseplate. Most of the rest is basic mechanical & 12v electrical wiring. I went with the Invisibrake because I wanted a permanent brake... no fuss after initial install and calibration. Just hook up and go. BUT... install can be a complicated PIA.
If anyone's interested, I will update here with pics as I make progress...
P.S. A deputy sheriff friend told me if you are stopped and found to be running illegal, you are grounded AND get a ticket. We travel through many states, so keeping track of braking laws can be a nightmare. I sure wouldn't want to leave the toad abandoned along the road!

I did the same thing myself to tow my 2004 LJ. I found my Ascent tow bar in the Amazon Warehouse and use the Stay In Play permanent braking system on the Jeep. Just flip a switch any you’re good to go. I enjoyed the installations and found it all to be straightforward. I added a wireless repeater to the Jeep’s brake light switch so that I could see exactly when my Jeep was applying its brakes. Works a treat in about 3000 miles so far.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum