Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Towing
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 02:08 AM   #49
Harley97

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
State: California
THOR #19344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Why go cheap and make things difficult and maybe stop an accident. Ask yourself if it made no difference then why would there be $1000 tow bars and $75 ones.

You’re looking for someone to show you that a simple tow bar and/or lack of toad brakes CAUSED an accident and I don’t think you’ll find it. But there is no question that stopping distances will be longer without the added brakes and that can be a major factor in an accident situation. You are either arguing for the sake of arguing or you believe that just because you’ve not experienced a problem in the past you never will. On the tow bar issue, of course there is nothing wrong with a cheap, rigid bar. Folks used them for years, me included. But they have since invented products that are easier and more satisfying to use. Many of us choose them for that reason. You could use an old bag style cell phone too but I’ll bet you don’t![/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you on all this. I bring this all up because every RV advice forum or social media page has this question many times. The majority of answers make people believe they have to spend tons of money on tow bars and brakes to be legal and safe, which isnt true.

Extra brakes are always safer for sure, but not necessarily required by law or dangerous to not have. Drive slower, leave distance and watch out for all the other idiots.

Someday I'm sure I'll upgrade to an easier tow bar. For bow my cheap one works great and I'm still young enough to not be too worn out hooking it up.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum