Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Towing
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 02:16 AM   #50
Harley97

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
State: California
THOR #19344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordste View Post
I purchased the entry level Blue Ox non binding tow bar. I bought the one that fits into the 2” receiver which I used locking pins so I never remove it. I am not sure how much more difficult it would be to hook up to the Jeep tow plate without it. Everyone and my local laws in TN require the TOAD have brakes if it is 1500 lbs or heavier. This weight is what I have seen on charts showing all the states requirements.
I have a 34 ft class A. I pulled the Jeep for over a year without the brakes and let me tell you it makes a huge difference. Without it I have to stand on the brakes pedal to stop which is bad in heavy traffic. This happens often when someone cuts close in front of you then jams on their brakes. Or when you catch a light at 55. With the brake my RV stops as if there was nothing being towed.
I did a bunch of research and bought an RVI system. It reacts to braking in .5 sec verses 3 seconds on other systems and it is proportional and not a brake full on or no brake setup.
This is one of the things I'm trying to highlight here. Websites all say TOADs are required auxiliary brakes. But they don't matter, the actual law does. You are correct that TN requires brakes on all trailers over 1500lbs. But, read the definition of a trailer and you will see a TOAD does not meet that definition.
(70) “Trailer” means every vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that no part of its weight rests upon the towing vehicle;

A TOAD is not designed to be drawn by a motor vehicle, hence not a trailer and does not require trailer brakes.

I agree completely that brakes are safer and will decrease stopping distance, but they are not required by law.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.