Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Spare tire?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #23
Long & Winding road

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You don't need a spare. It's easier to wait on the side of the interstate for 5-6 hours on hold with your roadside assistance, then wait for a tow, then wait for a tow truck big enough for your rig. Not that I did that this past Wednesday or anything...I'm gonna be shopping for a spare carrier and all the other requirments (jack large enough for the RV; new spare wheel, etc. Service Truck Tire Centers told me if I just carried just a spare tire, they can mount it on the original rim on the road, too, so that's probably the cheapest option).

Yes, I agree but DISAGREE NOW..... and I always thought I would get a Spare "sometime" but in the spring on my first trip with the RV I had a blowout on SUN night returning home. Took 4.5 hours to get roadside to repair it.

I always check my tires and make sure they have the correct pressure before each trip. Only 10K miles on my tires right now. Never expected a blow out.

So I purchased TPMS and a spare tire the first week back home.

I had most of the tools needed put decided to purchase a cordless impact to remove lug nuts and a cheap torque wrench to tighten down to 150 lb #. I even removed a couple one weekend to make sure I had everything I needed. Only too me about 15 to change one but another 15 / 20 to jack it up, block etc to be safe.

So 30 / 40 min I would be rolling again.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum