Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Heavier hitch
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 04:53 PM   #19
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan2010 View Post
We have a thor chateau 23u. It has an 8000lb hitch. I read where that only gives 500lb tongue weight. I want to pull my boat and add a mount for my motorcycle. Those two items would give me 650lbs tongue weight. Im wondering if the motorhome can handle the weight if i put on a bigger hitch.

I would evaluate three very different paths (options) to see which makes most sense.

1) First, I’d weigh motorhome with and without boat trailer attached to get front and rear axle weights. You can then estimate a fairly accurate weight after motorcycle is added. I can estimate this for you if needed.

2) Second, I’d call a custom boat trailer manufacturer/builder and ask about cost to build a new trailer with integrated motorcycle carrier. While expensive, it “may” be cheaper than modifying the motorhome’s frame and extension even if it would work (and that’s not known).

3) Third, I’d check into front receiver hitch to see if you can get one with enough load capacity for the motorcycle. This option is used successfully some times and helps with weight distribution and handling. The negatives include that the motorcycle will get dirtier with bugs, etc., and restricts air flow into radiator a bit. Since your motorhome is at low end of size and weight, cooling shouldn’t be a major problem. If you do a Google search, you should find many pictures similar to the one below.

Anyway, with your estimated 650 pounds of tongue weight for the combined boat and motorcycle, it suggest to me that both are probably fairly small/light. If that’s indeed the case, there should be a way to solve the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7ED8849-50F1-4A76-BE2E-247F566B16BE.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	25216  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.