Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Wiley1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
add a fresh water fill valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVP-The Boxcar Children View Post
I'm considering adding a PVC female hose end to it. Then I can open the drain valve, then the spigot, and backfill the tank w/o dragging the hose around to the other side to do a gravity fill.
GVP
My Class-C has the City Water connection and the FW fill port both on the driver's side of the coach. It is easy to disconnect the City Water and move the hose to the fill port when we break camp. Then you have to stand there and wait. Maybe you yell through the window to somebody inside who is watching the tank level gauge.

So, this thread doesn't exactly apply to my rig. But.....

I've often wondered why we fill our fresh water tank with a hose and the hose isn't securely attached to the fitting -- it just sort of lays in there. Maybe it falls out and maybe it doesn't. Is it because we don't want to force water into the FW tank under pressure? What would happen if the hose was securely attached to the fill opening and the tank became full? Definitely, water would shoot out of the little air vent hole. Then what? The tank splits a seam? A fitting breaks? A hose explodes? Or, everything holds the pressure nicely? I'm pretty sure I don't want to try it.

I've thought about adding a fill valve between the cold water system and the fresh water tank to allow filling the FW tank from inside the coach when connected to City Water. This seems safe to me if, and only if, I pull the front dinette cushion and watch the FW tank while it fills. For that reason, the fill valve should be located in that same compartment. In my opinion, it would be risky to locate it anywhere else.

Does anybody see a problem with my plan?
l

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum