Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #2
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
I have a 24' MH on an E450 chassis.

I'm thinking about getting a tow dolly to pull my 2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan. It weighs a little under 3000 lbs.

Can I use a dolly without brakes?
If I do need brakes, will they need to be electric, or could they be surge?

The drive train of my Civic is still cover under the 5-year factory warranty. I'm guessing that does not include the rear axles. If I tow this vehicle for long distances with the rear wheels down, will the rear wheel bearings need any extra maintenance?

I'm hoping that the odometer cable is connected to the front wheels. It would suck to have to disconnect it when towing.

I hear everybody complaining about how difficult it is to back up with a toad. I pull a 4000 lb boat with my SUV. Wouldn't this be about the same thing? In the SUV, my backup cam is worthless because it looks right into the bow of the boat. But, in the MH, I should be able to see over the toad.

What am I missing?
Yes, you must have brakes. From the Virginia code:

"Every semitrailer, trailer, or separate vehicle attached by a drawbar, chain, or coupling to a towing vehicle other than a farm tractor or a vehicle not required to obtain a registration certificate and having an actual gross weight of 3,000 pounds or more, shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle, which shall conform to the specifications set forth in § 46.2-1067 and shall be of a type approved by the Superintendent."

For tow dolly it is the combination of dolly and car that make up the gross weight.

Backing a boat is not the same as backing a dolly and car that have the rear wheels of the car and the dolly wheels trying to go in different directions. Then again, you can do anything the wallet can afford.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum