Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 12:51 AM   #36
Harley97

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
State: California
THOR #19344
There is another lengthy thread on here that I asked a similar question. If you look on AAA or the brake manufacturers sites they all will tell you each state requires them on TOADs. This is not true, in fact many states do NOT require brakes on a TOAD.

My advice is to look up the laws of each state you will be travelling through. First look up the law requiring trailer brakes, then look up the definition of a trailer. In many states a TOAD does not meet the definition of a trailer and the law does not specifically require brakes on one.

That being said, its not a bad idea to have brakes obviously. I tow a 2012 JKUR behind my 24FE. I currently do not run trailer brakes and have no issues. (Also CA is one of the states that does not require them on TOADs). Also an important note is that anytime when towing you should be driving slower and leaving more distance. This would alleviate any possible braking issues.

Here is a link to the other thread on this: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/towing-22452.html

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum