Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #147
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
Has Ford talked about using an electric driven AC compressor for the transit or E-Series van. Is this something that can be done?
This would allow placement of the second alternator in a different location.

On smaller Class C motorhomes and class b vans the dash air conditioning should be enough to keep them cool.

ex. My coach is 24' (Four Winds 22E), today was 91 degrees inside, and the dash ac lowered the the inside temperature to 85.5 degrees in 20 minutes.

A coach with fully electric dash air conditioning would possibly get better gas mileage by removing the engine driven compressor and eliminating the rooftop ac.
The dash ac is also much quieter then the rooftop ac

Yes, electric air conditioning is not only possible, it’s done all the time on electric vehicles and many hybrids. If you look at the upcoming hybrid F-150 specifications, Ford mentions high voltage electric air conditioner compressor so it can cool when engine is not running.

Regarding a second alternator, Ford already started offering dual alternators as an option in E-Series with the new 7.3L V8, and also in Transit vans with optional EcoBoost 3.5L V6. In these two examples they keep the standard belt-driven A/C compressor.

Longer term, I have little doubt that to electrify van and or motorhome chassis to serve for RV applications more effectively, that the electrical system (alternator) must be upgraded to at least 48-Volts in order to better power air conditioners, microwaves, etc. It’s all moving in that direction but not fast enough for my taste. Many companies are holding on to 12-Volt systems because it’s presently more common and cheaper, but 48V is slowly being adopted.

I recently read that the common aftermarket second alternator supplier plans to release a 48V alternator kit. Between that and 48V (nominal) batteries, we should see faster adoption of 48V in lieu of 12V.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17D3A320-BD58-46C7-93A7-A0565F8CABBD.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	25249  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum