Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
reminckv

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Tennessee
THOR #18316
Schwintek LCI Wall Slide and Bunk Issues Opinion

I have owned a 2016 Hurricane 32N for about 6 months now and have learned a lot from this forum and other sources about some of the more problematic systems in our Thor coaches. One of these systems seems to be the Schwintek slide outs (especially full wall slides) and front bunks. Based on what I have read as well as my own experiences, I have a come to an opinion that I wonder how many of you agree with. First, a little background.

During my first months of ownership and first trip, I noticed that on occasion there would be a loud pop when the slide was extended. This seemed to only occur on the first extension after a trip. I never found anything definite, but during inspection I did notice a little more wear on the first few grooves of the racks compared to the rest of them. Also, after my first trip, I noticed that my front bunk had dropped and there was an error code flashing on the controller. I was able to get the error cleared and the bunk up and level. I then inserted the pins properly and lowered the bunk onto the pins. I haven’t had any problems since but this got me thinking about the slide.

Here’s the conclusion I have come to (right or wrong): I think it would be best if the Schwintek motor/gear assembly is not under a load when not activated. Put another way, they should not be subjected to the outward forces of the full wall slide while bouncing down the road and turning right hand curves. Likewise, the bunk motor/gear assy should not be supporting that bunk, the pins should.

Once I started using slide locks on my slide, I have not had a single pop. From other posts, I know that some people use slide locks on their full wall slides, but I suspect that many don’t as they have primarily been sold as a safety measure. I think their biggest benefit may be taking some pressure off of the gears and motors. It’s my opinion that with the use of locks, making sure the coach is level before extension, lubing the motor/gear coupling, and inspecting for screws backing out, owners may be able to minimize many of the problems that occur. Just my opinion and we all know what that is worth!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum