Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
Wiley1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Backing a boat is not the same as backing a dolly and car that have the rear wheels of the car and the dolly wheels trying to go in different directions.
I just watched a guy demonstrate the MasterTow dolly here:

This is the same dolly I am considering. I found this video very good and very informative. I can see now why backing up a dolly could be a disaster. That thing wants to jackknife in every direction. No wonder everybody hates tow dollies.

What I don't understand is why the front wheels of the car are allowed to "articulate" on the dolly. What would happen if the car was locked down in a fixed position without any rotation function in the dolly? On a tight turn, the outside rear wheel of the car would need to travel faster than the inside wheel. Same with the dolly. Why isn't that OK? Isn't that what you get with a 4-down tow? It would certainly make backing up easier.

Come to think of it, the only time I ever back up my 24' MH is to get into my driveway or a back-in campsite. On the road, we can almost always find someplace wide enough to perform a U-turn. The trick would be to avoid getting yourself into any situation that required backing up.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.