Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Second A/C
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Last time I checked, the 9,200 BTUH uses more power and has higher start-up current than the 11,000 BTUH Power Saver, which is a newer and more efficient model. That’s probably one reason they use two 11,000 BTUH air conditioners in some 30-Amp motorhomes with 4,000-Watt generators. The 11,000 is also popular in Class B vans.

It’s too bad Coleman or others don’t make a very efficient +/- 9,000 BTUH air conditioner which could be ideal for some motorhome bedrooms and smaller vans. Current could be under 7 Amps.
Coleman still manufactures the Coleman Mach 8 Plus EZ Cub. It advantage is it is a three motor design like all Mach 8s. Since the fan motor is separate from the evaporator motor, the low speed is much quieter than the two motor design. This is important if you are going to run it at night. I might mention the Mach 8 13,500 is just a quiet on low but the compressor cycling is much more noticeable. My previous RV had a Mach 3 PS which was perfect for a 30 amp coach. When I up-graded my present coach to a 50 amp power center, I had the local RV repair place (Wagner RV is Castroville) remove the Mach 15 and replace it with a 13,500 Mach 3PS and had a Mach 8 13,500 heat pump put in the bedroom. I did the wiring myself but I am to old to handle the 95 lb A/Cs on the roof. Wiring for the thermostat controlling an a heat pump is different as is thermostat. The PS draws 14 amps max and the mach 8 draws 15 amps on a 100 degree day which the Onan 4000 runs without a whimper.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum