Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 03:10 PM   #22
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
~120, ~84, ~74 miles.

Looks like they overnighted once at a campground and charged there (not to full, however since its such a big battery in the X, only got to about 88% before moving on).

Its part of the "challenge" of driving an EV, but if I had to do it regularly yeah I wouldn't.

On the Mach-E forums there are a lot of 1st time EV'ers discussing long road trips and many have already decided to keep a gas car for long trips because the extra 30 minutes or so per every 2+ hours is too much (then one thread broke down into a discussion of how many times humans pee per day ! LOL).

I love reasonable challenges, but at same time think we are still far from having vehicles that average buyers will buy to tow camping trailers like those built today.

As an example, if a motorhome like yours on an E-350 chassis was built with a 4-cylinder heavy duty engine (half of the new 7.3L V8), nobody would buy it because it would be considered underpowered. Yet with 200 HP and over 600-mile driving range, I could get to any destination much faster than with electric motorhomes or EVs towing trailers considering how often they have to charge. Your Axis could easily cruise at 60 MPH all day with less than 200 HP and get there in half the time.

Whether the goal is to save money or the environment, I see smaller motorhomes with smaller engines driven at slower speeds as a much more viable option today than battery-electric vehicles for camping, yet most buyers won’t go that route.

Electric campers are very interesting to discuss from a technical standpoint, but I honestly don’t see large electric pickups towing 15,000-pound 5ers down the Interstates in near future. I doubt it’ll happen in my lifetime.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum