Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #14
Wiley1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
As far as making a home thermostat operate in an RV, yes, I think I have given up on that tactic. Like you, I decided that the conversions from 24vac to 12dc wouldn't be worth the complications and risks.

Ultimately, I decided that I was more interested in MONITORING the temperature of my coach as opposed to remotely CONTROLLING the temperature of my coach. If I set a temp on the thermostat and, for whatever reason, that temp isn't maintained, there are ways to be notified, other than through the thermostat (which might have failed). We often leave dogs "home alone".

For now, my solution is to do four things:
  • change the ceiling assembly cover to one without the two knobs
  • install a control box inside the ceiling assembly
  • run a cable through the ceiling and inside the wall to the compartment where the propane furnace is located
  • replace the crummy mechanical thermostat with a Coleman BlueTooth digital thermostat

Why? More accurate temperature control from one location. One thermostat for both heat and cooling. Better temperature sensing because the thermostat is 10 feet away from the AC unit. Can now control the AC without leaving my bed. And, I can install a lock-out relay to prevent the AC from being energized when the coach is operating on whole-house Inverter power.

In the future, maybe I can figure out a way to use the BT feature of the new thermostat as part of a "smart home" strategy using an old cell phone or something.

If anybody wants the part numbers or wiring diagrams for any of the stuff I've purchased, just ask.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum