Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #30
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You're assuming that its running/using 100% of the power all the time--it isn't.

(Officially its listed as 1400 peak horsepower--even the spec says it isn't running that all the time.)

Its using seven of these guys:
https://www.yasa.com/wp-content/uplo...duct_Sheet.pdf

Peak power @ 700Vdc is 160kW so 7 of them is 1120kW! LOL

Continuous power is 20kW to 100kW.

Also keep in mind that "on the track" doesn't mean racing, this guy is a demonstrator for the likes of Ken Block...they aren't racing it, they're drifting it, sliding it, doughnuts, etc. basically doing everything they can to leave as much tire on the pavement as possible....

What do you see it doing the most here? Making smoke:

Besides the "drive for an hour, charge for an hour" isn't my claim, its theirs...argue with them.

This Car & Driver article says 45 minutes:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...1400-revealed/

The Mach-E forum's discussion of it (you may recognize a user in there, and a Thor RV in his avatar...):
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thre...rsepower.1125/

The only significant thing I assumed is that it’s a marketing stunt.

I don’t want to argue anything, with you or Ford or whomever. I prefer discussing subjects based on facts and not emotions.

I simply did a rough estimate that shows that if you used 1400 HP, a 56.8 kWh battery can only last between 3 and 4 minutes at most. Other factors could realistically limit it to less than 3 minutes. Whatever they are doing for most of an hour, it can’t involve much power.

I also roughly estimated that a 56.8 kWh battery if evenly discharged over one hour could deliver 56.8 kW, right? That can power a motor around 60 HP for an hour. In real driving a standard Mustang with a 4 cylinder EcoBoost can deliver much more than 60 HP average for an hour or much longer. These are matters of fact, not opinions or assumptions. This adds perspective to why the Tesla doesn’t have much towing range.

In my opinion the average guy sees a Tesla with huge power and performance ratings and concludes it should be able to tow pretty well, but doesn’t actually comprehend that battery capacity can’t support those numbers for very long. Not long at all. Using 300~400 HP will drain battery in minutes, not hours.

It’s a completely different game when gas motorhomes (or trucks pulling trailers) use over 100 HP to maintain highway speed, and larger diesel rigs in order of 200 HP. That’s difficult to relate to in electric equivalent. A motorhome or pickup towing a large 5er would need “approximately” 100 to 200 kWh of battery capacity for every hour it drives to cover 60~65 miles.

Don’t get me wrong, I love electric cars and wish I owned one. On the other hand I don’t like marketing when it intentionally exaggerates out of context to the point of being deceptive.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum