Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: drinking water
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #35
Cwray

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
I installed a 3-stage filtration system under the bench seat closest to our kitchen sink for our 2019 Hurricane 34J. It's basically the same as what I have at home for the 3-Stage-plus-RO setup for our drinking water. The space is available, but fairly too awkward to use for convenient storage.

Knowing that the RO membrane is way to slow to be used for anything other than a few glasses of water at a time, I opted to forgo the RO stage and keep the flow rate high enough to use for the whole RV rig (showers and everything).

I like the clear plastic containers, so I can visually check them to see when they need replacement. While they usually only need it once a year (part time RV'ing family of 5), on one of the trips we noticed that the water had a bit of a well water taste and smell. The quality of that RV campground's water was so poor that the first two of the filters were browned out, and the first one had begun to get that slimy feel from so much iron being pulled out. -Yuck!

To each their own I suppose, as most of my RV circle just brings bottled water to drink and only showers with RV Park water. A couple of families just put that $10 blue camco filter outside on the hose and call that good enough. They poke fun at me and tease "gimme some of that tripled filter water!", but they all like hanging out at our RV and like being able to pull from the faucets when thirsty. They even more enjoy being able to have us dump extra ice made from the water into their coolers and cups.

Nerding out completely, I did a couple of additional things. I put in a bypass hose for the 3-stage system along with a Watchdog water sensor because these things can leak in the best of conditions (as compared to the rolling earthquakes from driving and 100+ degree storage conditions of an RV). The other thing is that I got an adapter for the 10' hose I bought to run from the outside kitchen into my clean water tank. I like being able to fill that up to at least 1/3 to have a water supply on hand while driving or parked somewhere. I generally put a splash of water treatment in there if the water is going to stay in the tank for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	25501  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.