Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #26
Islandsmith

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Great write-up and I think I can say now that you definitely have a bad connection in the wiring between the battery bank and the inverter. At this point I don't think you need to load test the batteries as everything else seems to be operating normally. That also indicates the connection between the battery bank negative side and chassis ground is good.

So that leaves:
The positive cable from the battery bank, through the fusible link (or DC breaker) to the positive connection on the inverter, which you have had apart so it should be good when you put it back together.
or,
The negative side of the inverter (again, should be good) back to chassis ground.

You are dropping 5+ volts across a bad connection somewhere above. With the inverter connected and measuring 7 VDC the other 5+ VDC will be seen across the bad connection. If physically possible, with the inverter connected, measure DC volts from the positive side of the battery bank to the positive terminal on the inverter. Do that same for the negative side. Good connections will read 0 VDC on either of those tests. In your case, one should read over 5 VDC - that would be the side with the bad connection.
OK thanks for that, I can definitely run wire under the coach to the battery bank to make the test your suggest.

I am a bit confused how the reading at the cable ends is 12.6V when they aren't connected to the inverter if there is a wiring issue. Is it because my voltmeter doesn't put any load on the circuit? I'm not an electrical expert so this is baffling to me. I just assumed that if I measure 12.6v at the cables when they are not connected to the inverter that once they were connected there should still be 12.6v supplied...and the loss is coming inside the inverter, not from somewhere between the batteries and the inverter.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum