Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: solar power
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 03:25 AM   #27
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
You need to look at specifications, but in general no, there isn’t a huge difference although you’d be saving the power (energy) that the inverter wastes. Absorption refrigeration works by requiring heat, so you can run from propane flame or electricity creating heat. I can understand wanting the alternator to provide electricity while driving so propane lasts a little longer and doesn’t need refilling as often, but when parked boondocking, use the propane. It will last a very long time with the tiny amount a fridge uses.

Having said that, if you are determined to run fridge on electricity, and are looking to upgrade by replacing, the logical upgrade is to buy a compressor refrigerator that is far more efficient than absorption fridge running on electricity.

There are various (new) models of so-called “residential” compressor fridges that can operate on approximately 1 kWh of electricity per day. That’s a significant savings in electricity, plus you get a larger fridge volume in same space.

In my opinion, as long as your existing fridge works on propane, use it. Eventually when it craps out you can look at upgrade options which may be even better by then.

Just my 2 cents ....
I have to back this up. I have two sources to draw on.

My on-board propane gauge can't be used due to a leak that turned the float out of whack. I have to keep an eye on it and try to fill it every so often. I fulltime. It never takes more than a gallon at a time after 10k+ miles.

I also have an extend-a-stay that I use when I'm parked. If it has to heat the RV, it takes 2-3+ gallons on refill. If it's only job is to keep the fridge cool, it takes a little over a gallon depending on how long I'm relying on it (dry camping).

The only thing I dislike about an absorption fridge is the defrost process. A hair dryer makes quick work of it but frost-free is really nice.

Stick with a multi-way. Some newer ones are 3-way and run off of electric, propane or 12vdc.

JMHO

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum