Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
Has anyone upgraded/replaced their Safe-t-plus Steering Stabilizer?

We have only owned our 2018 31s Windsport for a couple of months and we have put just under 1,000 miles on it and want to upgrade the suspension. I am sick of being tossed around by semis. I started to do my research and after I reviewed some of the previous threads on this forum I decided to do the following, in this order, over time: front end alignment, chf, rear sway bar, steering stabilizer. Once done I would see how things are and see if we need to do a front sway bar and/or sumo springs.

I went to the storage facility this weekend to look over my undercarriage to look over the work area and I noticed I already have a steering stabilizer installed. I am not sure if it was installed by the prior owner of came from Thor installed. Now I am wondering if it is worth looking at upgrading this part. Has anyone replaced this and if so, was it worth it or I am better off skipping upgrading it for now and go with a front sway bar?
Personally I feel a steering stabilizer is a waste of money. If the coach has had an alignment checked, the coach weighed and the tire pressures adjusted, it steers well. Now, the sway was way to much for me, so I installed Sumo Maxums front and rear. To my surprise, they worked as advertised. My thoughts are, the coach is always near at max weight 18,000 lbs; so when hitting a big bump, the coach was hitting the hard bump stops (front and rear). Adding to the spring rate, softened the blow, so the coach seems to ride much softer. The Sumos also reduced the sway considerably. I noticed when towing the dolly, I could feel it pull on the rear of the coach adding some instability to the coach on the winding Hill Country roads. I added a rear track bar to cure that problem. 28,000 miles later the coach's handling suits me, Just remember you have a short wheel base coach with a long rear overhang, so it is easy to overload the rear axle. Try to keep all the movable weight in between the axles by putting the bulky light items in the basement compartments that are behind the rear axle and not storing anything heavy in the bedroom. If the front end seems to wander, you can travel with the water and propane tanks full (assuming you don't overload the coach). This really helps on a windy day (35 mph crosswinds with higher gust are common is south Texas). Good luck, I think you have the best coach designed by the Thor MC plant 750 design crew. Well maybe the 34P was just as good.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum