Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #15
16Pal36.3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.2
State: Illinois
THOR #12796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwmjw2 View Post
My goodness. If I'm reading these comments correctly, some Thor owners are as anti science and anti engineering as the science denier's in Facebook. Are you just looking for an excuse to tow more than your ratings SMH.

I got the same impression. It does make me frustrated when people who don't make assumptions about how engineers work.

There are differences in the frames of those vehicles, very little is just an engine change. There are many things that affect the load rating of the vehicles. Brakes , springs, shocks, rear axle, drive shaft, frame, body geometry, and power train are all things that have to be considered. The US Department of Transportation And NHTSA provide guidance. The "test" is a relatively new wrinkle. Much of that stuff was "always" calculated in some fashion. You are right to say that the concern is "commercial" configurations in large part because there are many more commercial vehicles being regulated. There are specific items in the regulations applicable to RVs where they found issue.
I will admit to towing a 25 foot 1977 Mallard TT with a 1999 K15 Suburban with the Suburban cargo area fairly well filled. I got first hand experience with rear axle failure and smoking brakes close to failure. Theoretically I should have been ok. Towing capacity 6000 lbs - 1500 lbs of things, people and dogs in the vehicle and about 3700 lbs of trailer. That trailer was much easier to pull with a 2005 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax / Allison driveline. Got better fuel economy too. I still use that Silverado, but not for TT towing.

The person that made the observation comparing the test to RV reality had a good point. The combination of really poor aerodynamics and less than ideal weight distribution just adds to the tangle. I suspect that drag may have contributed to the rear axle failure.
I do agree that most "information" authors work from the limitations of their publications and personal experience and usually tell a piece of the story.

I'm glad my RV is on a purpose built Freight Liner Chassis and understand why I can only tow 33,000 - 28,000 = 5000 pounds regardless of where.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum