Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Second A/C
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #37
KBlanchard

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
2nd AC Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihealy View Post
Greetings,

My 2016 30.2 has a Coleman Mach 15,000 btu A/C unit. On a recent trip to Tybee Island Ga. we found ourselves in a full sun campsite. With outside temps in the mid to upper 90's the A/C struggled to reach 83 degrees during the height of the day. Night time brought some relief, but not as much as we are used to in the northeast.

Since we plan to move to North Carolina soon and will be doing much more camping in the Deep South, we are considering installing a second unit. My thought is that I don't need another 15K unit, but I'm not sure if a 9,200 btu will be adequate or if I should go with a 13,500 unit. I'm sure some of you have upgraded your A/C and I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas you care to share.

Thanks,

Jerry
I installed a 13500 in my bedroom on a separate power supply. The unit is unducted. I have a ACE 29.3 so my power install may not be the same as yours. I fabricated a power cord splitter that can plug into a 50 Amp (my unit is 30 amp) and/or a 30 amp. I only use the splitter to run both units. My challenge was running the feed internal of the outside wall through the ceiling to power the new AC unit. Although I had power to the ceiling fan, the wire gauge was too small for the additional load and needed to be larger.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.