Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 10:35 PM   #76
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
In-wheel or hub motors seem to work best for now in smaller sizes (and weight) associated with lower power ratings. Much like small electric bike motors, it’s not surprising Ford would test on a Fiesta. I’d guess all four motors combined probably don’t put out as much power as some Tesla motors, or what Ford will use on F-150 or Transit.

I’m sure there’re other challenges also like shock loads on motors, electric connections that must flex with suspension travel, etc. I know manufacturers have to start somewhere, and for compact economy cars might make sense soon. However, as long as manufacturers continue to build electric cars that can do 0-60 MPH under 4 seconds, it’s going to somewhat limit these types of motors in my opinion.

Funny thing is who would have expected electric cars like Tesla roadster to have 0-60 MPH under 2 seconds and quarter mile under 10 seconds? If they designed a car with performance equivalent to a Honda Civic, these types of motors may work sooner. Just a guess on my part.
That Fiesta was a one off prototype, 7 years ago and they only put motors in the rear wheels (I think it was a technology demonstrator for the company that made the motors).

Electric cars really didn't take off until someone demonstrated something that could do 0-60 fast (up until that point people simply considered them glorified golf carts). EVs had to be better than a gas powered car before people would take them seriously.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.