Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #11
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarter View Post
Well I just put 1Kw of solar, 4 lithium ion Battleborns, a charge controller and a 4000W inverter so I was hoping to power a little more than my fridge and TVs. Now the technician is saying I need a automatic transfer switch between shore power and the fuse box to make to work. So $7k later it appears if the guy is right $150 is holding me up...I thought I did my research and even asked the guy three different times if this would power my whole coach he said sure no problem, only thing I shouldn't be able to run is the ACs at least that's what I was thinking but we were hoping to actually be full time travelers next year and chase 70 degrees right now we are full time but mostly stationary.
Sounds like you did your research and purchased the right items assuming that 4000 watt inverter has it's own internal transfer switch there is no need for another transfer switch for the inverter, but it sounds like you have a need for a more knowledgeable installer. What you now need is a sub-panel that has breakers for all the loads you want powered by the inverter. Move the breakers and wiring for those loads from the main panel to the sub-panel.

The output of the inverter will power the sub-panel. There will be a feed (from new breakers) from the main panel to the AC input on the inverter. That will get you to what you are trying to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	25626  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.