Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 02:05 AM   #1
tullywork

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: New Jersey
THOR #18880
Muffer Support - is this by design/or need to be fixed?

Long story short...my buddy (who's owned an RV for 10+ years - although doesn't claim to be an expert) was camping with us (him and his family in his RV and our family in our RV) and happened to look at my motor muffler and said "looks like it's hanging, your going to need to get a bracket and fix that'...I've done that fix a couple of times...it's easy just go to AutoZone and get a 'kit'"

I've got a 2015 Thor Windsport 34J

Seemed 'OK' for the short term (wasn't close to hitting the ground - seemed secure when I tried to wiggle it), so we kept on camping/traveling...got home and went to AutoZone and bought the support and bracket to mount it to the frame...went under the truck (I'm a buy all the possible tools/parts and return what I don't need type of person) and I couldn't figure out where to mount the bracket...then looking further down the muffler pipe, I could see about 3' (toward the center of the truck) it seemed to have pretty secure mount point.

(picture attached)

So here's my question: in the attached picture you can see at (1) the muffler is attached to a support that's secure to the frame (no issues)....but that seems to be the ONLY support for the muffler (which is maybe fine?)...but at (2) I see another 'bracket' which is where I expected to have to secure it to another part of the vehicle frame, but above it is the sewer connection compartment (grey/black water tank outlets), so it wasn't completely obvious how I would secure a mount. After inspecting it further, I wondered if that bracket was just to secure the two pipes together (it's not one long pipe a ~3" pipe connects to a larger ~4" output) I'm sure I could figure out something, but after looking at it, I wondered if maybe it was unnecessary?

Hoping someone with a similar RV could help clarify if there is an issue that I need to address or if this is 'by design' and everything is OK?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200818_173035.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	25670  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.